Modeler is a plugin package for direct modeling in SideFX Houdini.
Modeler mode is a standalone modeling environment, which allows you to use classic mesh modeling tools. You can quickly create models, UV maps, and retopologize high-poly meshes in Houdini, just like in other DCCs. Modeler has its own keyboard and mouse shortcuts system and uses advanced Python states to interact with geometry faster.
Soft Boolean can create procedural models using boolean operations, but unlike the standard Boolean SOP, it creates soft transitions between the cutter and main geometry.
KitBash is intended to collect geometric data without saving them in separate files. KitBash can create subfolders and use models in the form of simple thumbnails. You can import models by simply clicking on its icon. The library has advanced tools for saving geometry of any type with materials. You can also import your own set of models and the library itself will create an icon for each of them.
Insert Mesh is a tool that allows embed parts of the geometry in any place using selected polygons. You can use this node in the network editor as usual, but the main feature is using it in conjunction with KitBash.
Modeler interactive tools system allows you to create custom viewport states very quickly.
Topo toolset is designed to simplify the retopology process. Low poly model can be done very quickly with smart patches and adapted tools.
1. Unzip the modeler .zip file.
2. Copy the modeler folder to the Houdini 18 settings folder. On my PC this is found in the C:\Users\joeblow\Documents\houdini18.0 directory.
3. Find the houdini.env file and open it in a text editor. On my PC this is also in the same directory as above.
4. Add the modeler path to the env file by typing
and type in the path to the directory where your modeler folder is.
On my PC this is C:\Users\joeblow\Documents\houdini18.0\modeler.
So the final command is
MODELER_PATH = “C:\Users\joeblow\Documents\houdini18.0\modele r”
5. Also then type next line
HOUDINI_PATH = “$HOUDINI_PATH;&;$MODELER_PATH”
6. Save the new houdini.env file as text.
7. Open Houdini and go to the shelf tabs(Create/Modify/Model etc). Click on the “+” icon at the end of the shelf and select “Shelves” from the dropdown.
8. You will see a list of available shelves and “Modeler” should be one of them. Select it and the Modeler shelf should appear.
9. Save the new desktop with the Modeler shelf.