Hair Tool is addon for Blender 2.93 that will help you generate hair-card based on 3d curves in non destructive way. (For blender below 2.93 you can still use HT 2.27)
- Online documentation
- Discord server where you can get support and report bugs
- Hair Tutorial Part 1 and Part 2 by SinHouse
- YouTube channel with videos related to HTool
Business vs Individual license: if you are company with above 100k $ income you are Business. Otherwise you can buy individual license
Three main ways to generate hair-cards with Hair Tool:
- using guide mesh (grid surface)
- using particle hair interactive grooming
- by drawing hair strands (similar to Grease Pencil drawing)
Some of the features:
- automated UV workflow (random uv region assignment per hair strand)
- texture preview directly on curve ribbons
- curve modeling tools (extend, shorten, cut, move hair with IK physics)
- hair library
- go back and forth between curve and mesh ribbons
- adjust ribbons profile (tapering radius, randomizing tilt, editing profile etc.)
- convert: Curves to Particle Hair, Particle Hair to Curve ribbons, Curve ribbons to mesh ribbons and so on.
- curve resampling and decimation (increase/decrease curve/ribbon points count)
- generating vertex color/weights gradients, transferring UVs and vertex weights from character to mesh haircards.
- texture baking (from curves or particle hair; supports: normal, ao, diffuse, tangent maps, ID maps, root map etc)
- build-in addon auto-updater
- and more
Hair tutorials for Blender 2.8 series:
- Introduction video
- Working with materials and uv in Hair Tool 2.1
- Example of making hair in Hair Tool 2.1
Hair Tool can be used to export hair to Character Creator.
- Check out CCreator Smart Hair system
- Hair Tool to Character Creator workflow video tutorial
Smart Hair Shader Part 1 – Basic Parameters & Base Color in CC
Smart Hair Shader Part 2 – Effects & Save Materials in CC
- added ability to attach curves as particle hair system ‘Particle Hair from Curves‘ (this can be used to import zbrush fibermesh curves and use them as blender Particle Hair system)
- added ‘Generate ribbon weights’ – make vertex group with gradient from ribbon root to tip
- added ‘Generate ribbon vertex color‘ – make vertex color with gradient from ribbon root (black) to tip (white)
- added ability to draw multiple uv boxes when using ‘UV hair’ operator. Each ribbon will pick random uv box. It helps differ the texture look.
- Added ‘Curve Resample‘ – changes number of points the curve is made from.
- Added options ‘Select Tips’, ‘Select Roots‘ under Blender ‘Select’ menu (visible during curve edit mode, on bottom header bar)
- New option ‘Ribbons from particle hair with children’ – gives better result compared to child particles generated by build in blender child particles (more even distribution, better aligning of child ribbons to surface). Great for short Hair.
- Resample – more options, and keeps curve tilt and rotation.
- ‘Particle Hair From Grease Pencil’ strokes painted in grease pencil, can be converted to particle hair (with some options available under f6)
- ‘Flip UV’ option in preferences – if enabled random strands will have uv’s flipped in X-axis
- ability to add ‘random vertex color per ribbon’. Can be also used on non hair meshes, to add random ID vertex colors per loose mesh parts.
- ability to add presets for ‘Ribbons from particle hair with children’ operator
- added “Smooth scale” – similar to ‘Smooth Tilt’ but smooths the radius
- added ‘Edit curve profile’, ‘Close Curve Profile’ – if you want to adjust curve bevel profile by hand
- ability to taper roots of curves ribbons (previously you could taper just tips)
- added ‘Placement jittering’ F6 option for ‘Ribbons from particle hair with children’ button – helps a bit to get more uniform child strands distribution.
- ability to preview hair texture directly in curve ribbons stage. See video explaining new feature: https://youtu.be/gtbhmYEKGZE
- linear deformer tool – for curve modeling can be downloaded here: https://github.com/JoseConseco/mira_tools (how this tool works is explained in video above)
- hair resample and simplify operators preserve material order
- added options to remove, resize, reset – uv boxes when using “Draw uv area for Hair” operator in imaged editor window (found under spacebar).
- Particle Hair Combing with Interactive Ribbons see video – https://youtu.be/r4da3J5omd8
- early support for texture baking. Baking panel is located in -> 3d View -> Tools -> Hair Baking panel. I will make short guide video soon. https://twitter.com/JoseConseco3/status/975484075841605633
Update 1.8.5 (11.04.2018):
- finished and polished hair baking in blender (ao, id, root mask, tangent map, normal, depth etc).
- added channel packing nodes (beta but should work 90% of time)
- video showing example worfklow and how baking works: https://youtu.be/0UAxl549pNA
Update 1.8.7 + 1.8.8 + 1.8.9(17.04.2018):
- added parameter – Output texture name – for hair baking
- changed ‘Randomize Curve Tilt’ operator – this change makes it now possible to make curly hair.
- added ‘Generate Braid’ Operator. See video below.
- In this video you will see who to create curly hair and Braid: https://youtu.be/iXjBCxesA_I
Update 1.9.2 (day 20.07.2018) – some bug fixes added in 11.08.2018:
- added select Next/Previous to curve editmode -> Select menu. I will select next point on curve.
- Interactive Child particles count can be set manually over 2000 (use with caution)
- generated curve ribbons will now have the rotation applied (this fixes bad curve ribbons aligning – 90deg offset)
- New: Ability to copy hair curve profile. Located in HT menu -> Next to ‘Close Profile’
Update 1.9.3 (26.08.2018):
- Fixed UV bug when going back and forward between curve and mesh mode.
- Randomize curve tilt – tilt can take positive or negative values.
- ‘Include Parents’ – option added in interactive hair combing – this will take into account Parent strands when using ‘generate children option’.
- align curve tilt – make it work only on selected points. Previously it would align whole curve.
- Curve from grease pencil – now it has option to generate curve ribbons on the fly (https://bartoszstyperek.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/pg_to_curveribbon.gif?w=575&zoom=2).
Update 1.9.4 (03.11.2018):
- New clumping option added for – ‘Curves from grid surface’ operator.
- Speed boost to all tools that use curves resampling, including ‘Interactive hair combing’. This affects lots of tools, but hopefully this didn’t introduce any new bugs.
- fix jumping particle hairs when converting curves to particle hair
- Some of parameters can now be set above maximum value, by manually entering bigger values (eg. max curve ribbon width can now be set above 10)
Update 2.0.4 (09.02.2019):
- Curves from grid surface will now remember its previous settings, when executing for the second time.
Update 2.0.6 (27.03.2019):
- added auto-update feature, in addon preferences. When new release is out, you can use auto-update to automatically download and install new version.
Update 2.0.7 (5.04.2019):
- Fix auto-updater not working for some users (no longer use https).
- Added ‘Target length’ for hair drawing (when you draw hair, their length wont exceed this value if set above 0
Update 2.0.10 (22.05.2019):
- added compatibility with latest blender api changes – use only with blender builds after 21 may!
- Improved speed in interactive hair combing and generation of curves from grid surface
Update 2.1.00 (01 Sep 2019)
- added curly hair support
- lots of bugfixes and tweaks – check out new documentation for what is new: https://joseconseco.github.io/HairToolDocs_28/
Update 2.1.1 + 2.1.2 (01 Sep 2019)
- improved aligning when generating curly hair
- fix generating curls from bezier curves or poly curve
Update 2.1.3 (14 sep 2019)
- fixed channel remapping nodes not working in blender 2.8
Update 2.1.4 (25.08.2019)
- Show warning popup when opening baking scene,
- Hide braid deformer visibility in cycles,
- added option in preferences to disable drawing grid mesh as ‘WIRE’,
- fix braids generation, when only one curve is selected
Update 2.1.6 + 2.1.7 + 2.1.8(For Blender 2.81 16.10.2019)
- support for blender 2.81
- adjust particle hair length added (in ‘interactive combing’ panel)
- more hair examples in hair baking blend scene
- randomize rotation in interactive combing
- flip UV in V (top-bottom) direction
- new drawing mode – connected
- fix hotkey – disabling drawing hair would erase ctrl+shift+H pie menu hotkey, and possibly other hotkeys too!
2.20 (for Blender 2.82 only 06.03.2020)
- texture baking added padding support and new channel compositing nodes
- mesh ribbons – added vertex AO bake with bounces approximation
- taper curve profile (hack)
- added flatten scalp to UV option in baking scene
- mesh ribbons – added UV Pick from target
- replaced default hair material – it no longer needs special light hack. But anisotropic highlights are still faked. It uses new texture too
2.22 (for Blender 2.83 only 26.07.2020)
- Added Hair Modeling Workspace Tool
- non square UV baking support,
- added Straighten strand tool,
- added ability to define custom texture suffixes in addon preferences,
- interactive combing now support length vertex group,
- you can pick uv which will be assigned to drawn strand,
- added finalize option (merge all selected hair into one, new output mesh)
2.23 (for Blender 2.83 only);
- fixed baking on solid background
- fixed Z-up aligning error on curly hair generation,
- possibly fixed auto-updater on MAC,
- fixed uv drawing on curves with no materials,
- fix error when using ‘Curves from grid surface’ with bezier curve output type
- fix drawing particle hair regression.
2.24(for Blender 2.83 and 2.9x) 22.12.2020:
- added Adjust Length for curve strands
- Hair Draw – added Extend option
- New ‘Set UV region’
- added Direction bake pass
- faster and better looking texture padding
2.25 (for Blender 2.83 and 2.9x) 24.01.2021
2.27 – 20.05.2021
- initial support for Blender 2.93 – it is still WIP and not documented yet.
2.93 – 16.06.2021
- Compatible only with Blender 2.93
- Added UV Curls
- ‘Profile Generate’ now support generating round profiles (required for UV curls)
- Added Auto UV with optional length threshold masking
- Added ‘Slice Curve Using Mesh’ operator
- Lost of new presets added to Hair Library. Get them from HT Gumroad site.
- added cleaner uv for Vertex Groups masking in Interactive Grooming
- generation of thumbnails for hair presets finally works